FENWICK LODGE NO.1389

Fenwick Lodge No.1389 is a Lodge of Freemasons meeting at Wearside Masonic Temple. The Lodge meets on the third Friday of the month between October and May. Meetings commence at 7:00pm. The Installation meeting is in November.

The Lodge has been warranted since 14th February 1872, founded by members of St. John's Lodge No.80 and the now-defunct Williamson Lodge No.949. The name of the Lodge was taken from W Bro Henry Fenwick, who was Deputy Provincial Grand Master for the Province of Durham between 1850 and 1867. He was also Member of Parliament for Sunderland, and the emblem of the Lodge is based upon his coat of arms. W Bro Fenwick owned land around Crowtree Road and there was for some time a Fenwick Street running through this area.

The Lodge has always had a diverse membership - not unusual in a busy port town. Indeed one of the founders, a Bro P Hvistendahl, was from Sweden. Local MPs Samuel Storey and Sir Edward Temperley Gourley, who were also founders of the Sunderland Echo, were members of the Lodge, as was Summers Hunter CBE, managing director of the North East Maritime Engineering Company, who was responsible for many innovations in naval engineering.

Visiting brethren will be made most welcome and are advised to contact the Lodge Secretary in advance with regards to dining.

Function Room Booking: 07711 500 883

Burdon Road, Sunderland SR2 7DX, UK

©2017-2020 by Wearside Masonic Temple Ltd. All rights reserved. Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this information, Wearside Masonic Temple Ltd cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions.